We All Have That Choice.
John 6:16 - 21 begins after Jesus feeds five thousand people with 5 loaves and two fishes...
16" When evening came, his disciples went down to the lake, 17 where they got into a boat and set off across the lake for Capernaum. By now it was dark, and Jesus had not yet joined them. 18 A strong wind was blowing and the waters grew rough. 19 When they had rowed about three or four miles, they saw Jesus approaching the boat, walking on the water; and they were frightened. 20 But he said to them, “It is I; don’t be afraid.” 21 Then they were willing to take him into the boat, and immediately the boat reached the shore where they were heading."
1. The Disciples, those who knew the miracles and KNEW Jesus well, found themselves in a massive storm. Jesus was NOT with them.
2. They were fearful, so much so, that at first didn't recognize their Savior walking towards them, through the waves - steady.
3. They 'WERE WILLING TO TAKE HIM INTO THE BOAT" - interesting the wording here. Jesus didn't force His way in. The disciples had to welcome Him in.
4. "Immediately" they had direction, peace, relief as they reached their destination.
5. They were never out of Jesus' notice, strength, nor were they unreachable.... even in a storm.
6. The storm had a purpose... and that purpose is about focus. It definitely got their attention. It is easy to trust Jesus when there are no storms, when the sky is sunny and the breeze is light - but are we just fair weather followers? Do we, as current disciples, follow and trust Jesus even when life's waters are rough?
There are some lessons here - We ALL experience "storms" - feeling abandoned, afraid, frustrated... Jesus refuses to leave you there alone - We need to be willing to let Him into our mess. I am not saying that He will "immediately" take away all of the circumstances that you find yourself in - I am saying that He is faithful to "immediately" start a work in you, navigating your heart and life to where you are supposed to be and it begins the moment you put your faith, trust and hope in Him.
We all have that choice.
Do we TRUST that Jesus is always with us, is always stronger, always seeing and knowing what storms we may find ourselves in and always caring, desiring us to keep our eyes on Him, allowing Him control - willing to let Him take control?
Or do we keep rowing, and in our own "strength", be overcome by fear, frustration and anxiety - feeling like we are drowning, alone, and defeated?
I have been on both sides - the one where I am engulfed in defeat... and where I have been willing to let Jesus into the center of the storm.
This season of preparing our hearts for the celebration of what Jesus has done for us, as we remember that he fought the ultimate battle on our behalf and WON - I urge you... Let Him In!
There is healing, hope and life!
If you are feeling that you need more encouragement through prayer - please send me a direct email, using either contact tab on my site or comment on this post.
If you don't know who Jesus is - and you want to know more and are "willing" to let Him in, begin trusting in Him and grow in faith, hope, and JOY - It would be an honor to speak with you. Please send me an email to start.
#Jesus #Joyinallseasons #Hope #Storms #Overcomer #Truth #John6 #Fear #Anxiety #Surrender #Trust #Prayer #Encouragement